About tax-free procedures
When buying tax-free, it is necessary to do a certain procedure.
- Foreign nationals who have entered Japan within the last six months (excluding those working in a Japan-based office)
- Japanese nationals residing overseas who have temporarily returned to and been in Japan for less than six months
Applicant's passport, etc.
Tax-free Product Categories
Total for purchases made at the same store in one day: ¥5,000 or more (tax excluded)
Home appliances and cameras
- However, if general goods are wrapped in order to avoid being used in Japan, you can pay them together with consumables. In this case, the requirements are the same as those for consumables.
Total for purchases made at the same store in one day: Between ¥5,000 and ¥500,000 (tax excluded)
- Consumables cannot be used while staying in Japan. Please present your passport and purchased items at customs when leaving the country.
Important Considerations Before Purchasing
- Tax-free is not possible for those who do not present their passport, etc.
- If you enter Japan through an automated entry gate or similar, it is not possible to get tax-free if you do not have a stamp where the date you entered the country can be verified.
- If you use a credit card, the name on your passport, etc. must match the name on your credit card.
- Items purchased on the same day are tax-free.
- There are products that cannot be brought into a country (for example, meats, fruits, and items that violates the Washington Convention (CITES)).
Important Considerations After Purchasing
- Please present your passport and purchased items at customs at the airport or port when leaving the country.
- When leaving Japan, please consult with airport customs regarding items that are prohibited as carry-on baggage in the airplane before completing flight check-in procedures.
- You will be required to pay consumption tax at customs when leaving the country for any tax-free items you consume before leaving Japan.
Check out how to do tax-free procedures here